Drug Detox Centers in Tuskegee, Alabama
Looking for a Drug Detox Center in Tuskegee, Alabama?
Contact Us Now and Get a Response in Minutes
List of Drug Detox Centers in Tuskegee, Alabama & Mental Health Services near Tuskegee, Alabama
List of Addiction Counseling Services near Tuskegee, Alabama
Additional information about Tuskegee, Alabama
Tuskegee () is a city in Macon County, Alabama, United States. It was founded and laid out in 1833 by General Thomas Simpson Woodward, a Creek War veteran under Andrew Jackson, and made the county seat that year. It was incorporated in 1843. It is in addition to the largest city in Macon County. At the 2010 census the population was 9,865, down from 11,846 in 2000.
Tuskegee has been an important site in African-American archives and highly influential in United States history before the 19th century. Before the American Civil War, the Place was largely used as a cotton plantation, dependent upon African-American slave labor. After the war, many freedmen continued to work on plantations in the rural area, which was devoted to agriculture. In 1881 the Tuskegee Normal School (now Tuskegee University, a historically black college) was founded by Lewis Adams, a former slave whose father, Jesse Adams, a slave owner, allowed him to be educated. Its first founding principal was Booker T. Washington, who developed a national reputation and unselfish network to hold education of freedmen and their children.
In 1923, the Tuskegee Veterans Administration Medical Center was time-honored here, initially for the estimated 300,000 African-American veterans of World War I in the South, when public facilities were racially segregated. Twenty-seven buildings were constructed on the 464-acre campus.
The city was the subject of a notable civil rights case, Gomillion v. Lightfoot (1960), in which the United States Supreme Court ruled that the divulge legislature had violated the Fifteenth Amendment in 1957 by gerrymandering city boundaries as a 28-sided figure that excluded nearly everything black voters and residents, and none of the white voters or residents. The city’s boundaries were restored in 1961 after the ruling.